Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Who gets to call themselves an Eagle?

So I'm not a bra-burning protest marching hard core feminist, but this just plaine rankles me. I strongly support ALL our national teams - men, women, boys, girls, 7s, 15s. And I love the traditions and culture of rugby. But if we just take the "its the way it's always been done, don't mess with it" approach, well, I don't even want to think where we'd be. So sir, I respectfully disagree in words I can't repeat without raging unprofessionaly. At least not tonight. Friends, if you feel as strongly as I do, please read the recent post on ARN and let the editor know.


http://www.americanrugbynews.com/artman/publish/editorial/Lowe_Down_It_s_all_in_the_name.shtml

2 Comments:

Ginger said...

Alright. I read the "article". Mr. Lowe - I, also, disagree with your thesis. I don't give a %$@ what you reckon, as a modern American I would argue that the "Eagle" is merely a symbol of America and age and gender don't matter. If you are training at the highest level and representing the USA, you are an Eagle. What if we made the argument that only the most successful national team could claim the moniker of "Eagle" - then what would the men's national team call them selves as the women's sevens teams claimed their label. I say, that if you are representing our country in a USA Rugby jersy, then you are an Eagle. Fuck "rugby tradition." Maybe that is the root of our struggles as national team rugby players - bowing to traditions set by other cultures. I think it's time to embrace our AMERICAN athletic tradition and claim our Eagle-ness in our game. I don't care how old you are or what gender - if you have been selected to represent the USA in a test match, you are an Eagle to me.

Kevin BMK Sullivan said...

Didn't the Bard muse about what's in a name?

Basically, it's time for Americans to take control of American Rugby. I appreciate the efforts of our lovely Boulder staff, but thanks, we'll take it from here...

Support youth sides, build HS and College teams, swell the numbers from the base, and we make this an American game.